When was the last time you basked in the natural sounds of nature without being interrupted by a plane passing through, the horn of a truck along the nearby highway, or the screams of children?
Nowadays, it’s challenging to have an uninterrupted time with nature sounds alone. At some point, you will hear human-made sounds. But do you know how calming nature sounds are?
A couple of minutes spent in meditation with the natural sounds of the earth can have a significant impact on your overall health.
Natural sounds have been associated with relaxation and well-being for hundreds of years. In a recent study conducted by the researchers at Brighton and Sussex Medical School in England wherein 17 healthy adults participated showed that nature sounds could physically alter the connections in the brains that reduces the body’s natural fight-or-flight instinct.
These are the most relaxing nature sounds:
- The sound of the river
- The sound of crackling fires
- The sound of the rainforest, such as the birds chirping and waterfalls
- The sound of waterfalls, which also acts as a natural white noise
- Wind sounds, the rustling of the leaves on the trees or the strong wind howling
- Thunderstorm sounds due to the majestic sounds of strong wind and heavy rain
- Rain sounds
- Bird sounds
- Ocean sounds
- Animal sounds, such as the calling of whales and dolphins, the roar of lions, cats meowing, etc.
The next time you are feeling high levels of stress, take a break, go outside, and bask in the sounds of the natural environment around you. Even if other man-made sounds flow with it, a couple of minutes of merely tuning in to the beautiful sounds of nature will relax you. It’s a natural stress-reliever that you can get any time.
It also won’t hurt to find an ideal background soundscape that you can listen to on your mobile phone and other devices that will promote better rest and relaxation.